• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
Wooden Churches

Beskydy is a mass of mountains that stretches to form an arc on the territory of the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia from Moravská Brána (Moravian Gate) to Kurovské sedlo (Kurovské saddle). In the Czech Republic you will find Moravskoslezské (Moravian-Silesian) and Slezské (Silesian) Beskydy, in Slovakia Beskydy mountains are titled Kysucké, Oravské and Nízké Beskydy and in Poland we know nine mountainous blocks named Beskid.

The Beskydy landscape has had the power to enchant people with its picturesque beauty since the time out of mind. The first inhabitants, as the archaeology unveiled, were dwelling here already in the Old Stone Age. They were coming to these places for ages in order to settle here and create a community of people with characteristic culture and folk customs that have been preserved until today. The extensive region of Beskydy has got plenty of forms, ranging from deep forests, steep hills and wild natural sceneries up to urban landscapes of Frenštát, Rožnov pod Radhoštěm or Frýdlant nad Ostravicí.

The first historical mentions about the settlement places in Beskydy are usually associated with the construction of religious objects, chapels and castles. Let?s go and have a look at these picturesque constructions that were left to us by our ancestors. Let?s examine this extraordinary set of churches built by the hands of folk wood carvers and architects from the best available construction material, i.e. wood.

Wooden churches in Beskydy constitute a part of a unique set of sacral folk constructions. This set of wooden churches built in the course of five centuries is with regard to the concentration, variability and good state of preservation of individual constructions considered absolutely unique in Central Europe.

The typology of the Central European wooden churches is associated with bricked churches. Single-aisle type of church is predominant, but exceptionally we can encounter also three aisles (Polish Mogila). When talking about the structures of the churches, the oldest one was probably the palar structure. Another technique was the grooved structure with wooden panelling and mesh.

These techniques are followed by traditional technique of timbering or logging, which survived more or less until today. Another important structure that came to the Central European region from the West was so-called Western frame. Its principle consists in frame structure with panelling inserted to the beam thickness. In 16th century the churches are enriched with a porch along their perimeter that protected the beams of the church walls against rotting and concurrently it also protected parishioners against unfavourable weather. The ceilings of the wooden churches are usually flat, with filler blocks, but we can encounter also characteristic arch imitations (Hervartov, Gůty). Roof timbers were also an important structure. The oldest and the simplest type of roof timberwork is the so-called ridge purlin. A new type of roof timberwork appears in gothic period, i.e. collar beam roof. A new type of roof timberwork called studded timberwork appeared in the 16th and especially in the 17th century, which survived until 19th century. The towers of the wooden churches appear in the 16th century, by that time their function was substituted by individual standing belfries. The towers are not logged and therefore they have a lightweight, static and economical structure that resists well to the wind. Architectonic form responds to the contemporary period-style architecture, though usually with substantial delay. Especially those elements are received that can be easily transformed with carpenter?s tooling into the wooden material.

The typology of portals with medieval churches in Central Europe includes almost all the types known from the bricked architecture (keel arch, saddle portal, canopy arch, lancet arch, rectangular) especially in the neighbouring Poland. The exterior of the wooden churches is very simple and modest. The situation in the interior of the churches is considerably different, as it is the most representative part of the church. The flourishing era of wooden churches was in the 16th and especially in the 17th century thanks to the Protestants. The most complicated churches were born in hands of trained architects and under supervision of relevant lords of the manor. The most progressive features taken over from the period-style architecture appear especially in these churches within the wooden architecture.


Therefore Beskydy mountains are a real fairytale paradise not only for the wood carvers. There is no other place with such concentration of wooden constructions. These wooden religious constructions, churches, chapels and belfries are completely exceptional and today unique constructions. A visit to Beskydy mountains will allow you to see with your own eyes these unique constructions and make yourselves acquainted with the heritage of folk constructors, carpenters, wood carvers and painters, which they left to further generations.

Kostel sv. Jakuba (St. Jacob?s Church)

49°42?37,0?,18°56?25,5?? google maps

History It was built in 1797 ? 1800; it is of log type with skeleton tower; trilateral enclosed presbytery; rectangular aisle; in 1933 the walls separating the aisle from the tower were removed and replaced with columns. The ceilings inside the church are flat. The death belfry was built in 1820. The equipment of the church is from late Baroque period, it is mostly formed by articles from the Premonstratensian cloister in Nowy Sącz.

Main altar ? with statuettes of the following figures: St. Jacob (in the middle), St. Peter (left side), St. Stanislav Kostka (right side). Left side altar ? Christ?s Heart with plaster statue; right side altar ? with pictures of St. Jan Nepomucký (1st half of the 17th century); late Baroque pulpit with baldachin, underneath with the relief of St. Ambrož with burning heart in the hand; besides the main altar there is a stone baptismal font dating back to 1800; in the tower there is a bell fr om 1691.

Masses Saturdays: 19:00

Sundays and feast days: 6:15, 9:45, 11:45, 20:00

Contact43-370 Szczyrk Kolorowa 1
tel. +48 33 8178429, +48 33 8178505


Kostel svaté Barbory (St. Barbara?s Church)

49°48?34,7?,19°04?20,2?? google maps

Site Mikuszowice

History It was built in 1690 by Piotr Piotrowski. The tower was annexed in 1851 by Walentyn Fiak, and raised in 1870. The Church is of log type, with skeleton tower, the presbytery is pentahedral, enclosed; the aisle is quadrilateral; the inside is covered with flat ceilings; polychromy is from the Baroque period, made in 1725 by J. Mentil of Bielsko (according to the inscription on the wall: ?Johann Mentil Bl?). In the main altar: Picture of St. Barbara, baroque; late renaissance parts (17th century) also with pictures of St. Barbara and St. Catherine, St. Vojtěcha and Bishop St. Stanislaw. Statuette of the Mother of God (around 1420 ? 1430). Rococo tabernacle from the Church of Wilkowice. The church is encircled from the south, east and north by chapels, originally opened since 1885 closed with wooden lining.

Masses- Sunday ? 7:00, 8:30, 10:00, 11:30, 18:00
- Sunday holy mass on

Saturday ? 18:00
- In the weekdays ? 7:00, 18:00

Contact 43-310 Bielsko-Biała, ul. Cyprysowa 25
tel. +48 33 81-90-150, fax +48 33 81-90-155

Access It is possible to reach the church following the yellow tourist mark ?Of the Swedish Invasion? (beginning on the Bielsko-Biała Mikuszowice railway station), which proceeds across Wilkowice and Łodygowice to Żywiec. The sanctuary is located near popular paths in the Gipsy Wood, Kielske plains of Błonie and slopes of Kozí hora (Stefanka). The other side of the valley is verged by red path, and red tourist mark, that copies the peaks of Malé Beskydy: Magurka and Rogacz.

It is possible to reach the place from the centre of Bielsko-Biała by bus, line 10, 12, B (from Bystrzańska street), no. 2 (from Żywiecka street) or 21 (loop in the Ks. Jana Kusia street).


Kostel sv. Barbory w Górze

49°58?21,6?,19°06?26,4?? google maps

Site Góra

History The existing church was built probably in 2nd half of 16th century; in 1580 ? 1628 it was owned by protestants; in 1596, the owner of Góra, Grygier Blauck, obliged his uncle Anthony to dedicate 100 talers to the repair of the church.
The church was expanded in 20th century (relocation to the west and extension of the aisle); the church is made of logs, the tower is framed, presbytery is enclosed, composed of three walls; the aisle is rectangular; on the northern part there is a new bricked sacristy encased with boards; the ceiling in presbytery is flat; the ceiling in the aisle is with facet; altar cross (18th century); two crucifixes (19th century). The presbytery and aisle are encircled with chapels that are lined with boards to half of the height. There is a mention about two bells, one with Latin inscription.

Contact Address: Topolowa 37, 43-227 Góra

Telephone: +48 32 211-71-71


Kaplička sv. Anežky České (Chapel of St. Anežka Česká)

One of the youngest wooden church construction in the region of Beskydy Mountains is the chapel of St. Anežka in Rakovec ? local part of Řepiště municipality. It was built in 1990 to the honour of canonization of the beatific Anežka Česká.

The construction was initiated, financed and performed by a local citizen Mr. Volný. Simple folk construction thus documents the strength of personal religious conviction and is a follow-up with this story of its origination to other constructions of chapels, crosses or statues from distant times, when such approach of the citizens was much more frequent.

Today the chapel of St. Anežka is combined in Řepiště with a stylish forest wooden rest place serving to both pedestrians as well as cyclists. There is also a wooden column with a picture of Mary the Virgin that puts the finishing touches to this place, making it become a small place of pilgrimage. In the middle of silence of wooden nature it thus offers a pleasant and meditative atmosphere.


Kaplička Panny Marie (Virgin Mary?s Chapel)


In 1893 the constructor Emil Christoph built a wooden chapel in the area of the rehabilitation centre of Beskydy, which is consecrated to the Holy Virgin Mary, who purportedly appeared close to the well and its water helped to cure. In last years of the last century the chapel was reconstructed and in 2002 a new bell named "Richard" with a weight of 46 kg was installed in it.

Contact: 558 684 009 (ecclesiastic administrator)

Masses: On Monday, every 14 days

Arrival: On the road no. 483 approximately 8 km from Frýdlant nad Ostravicí in the direction to Čeladná, Kunčice pod Ondřejníkem.


Kaplička sv. Floriána (St. Florian?s Church)


The chapel of St. Florian ? protector of the object against fire ? is located at the bottom end of the village on the right bank of the Onřejnice river; it was built in Na mlýně area and was consecrated in May 2005 by the bishop of Ostrava and Opava, F.V. Lobkowitz. The construction was inspired by a wooden belfry that is located in the Walachian Natural Museum in Rožnov pod Radhoštěm.

Contact: Publicly accessible

Arrival: Approximately 10 km from Frýdlant nad Ostravicí in the direction to Metylovice, Lhotka, Jarošov.


Kaplička Panny Marie (Virgin Mary?s Chapel)

Locality: Kavalčanky (Bílá)


Close to the local part of Bílá ? Kavalčanky a decorative wood-carved chapel with a statue of Mary the Virgin almost as large as life was renewed in 1990?s. The chapel was consecrated to Mary of Lurdy, who is well hidden here in blue and white and constantly covered with colourful flowers.

Contact: Publicly accessible

Arrival: By bus from Frýdlant nad Ostravicí, by car on the road no. 484


Kaple sv. Huberta (St. Hubert?s Chapel)


Formerly built wooden church constructions in Bílá were enriched with others quite recently.

In the centre of the village, in the area of the hunting lodge, a new wooden chapel was build by the Forest District of Ostravice in 2008. Consecration of the chapel to St. Hubert ? Patron of the Woodmen can in this regard be considered logical.

Contact: Publicly accessible

Arrival: On the road 56 in the direction to Ostravice, Staré Hamry, Horní Bečva.


Kostel sv. Jošta (St. Jošt?s Church)

49° 41? 01.73? 18° 21? 11.19? google maps


The late renaissance church of St. Jošt in the existing Comenius? municipal park was built most probably by Jan Bruntálský, the nephew of Earl Bartoloměj Bruntálský of Vrbno in 1612. The new main altar was built in 1666 and consecrated in 1673 in the honour and praise of St. Jošt. Sacristy and wooden belfry was annexed to the church in the first half of 18th century or in 1791 respectively. It was originally a votive church, which has soon become cemetery church. Especially the inhabitants of the outskirts of Frýdek and Staré Město were buried there. During the reign of Joseph II a regulation was issued that cemeteries can not be located in the centre of the town for hygienic reasons, therefore the cemetery at the Parish church of St. Jan Křtitel was cancelled and the inhabitants of the town were buried on the cemetery at the Church of St. Jošt. There is a park on the place of the cemetery today. The church has a simple renaissance form. Quadrilateral construction with supporting pillars on the perimeter is terminated by semicircular presbytery with a small circular sacristy behind. Wooden tower with bells is covered with shingles, as well as the entire roof.

Contact: Accessible occasionally

Arrival: Urban public transport of Frýdek-Místek.

GPS: N 49° 41' 01.73" E 18° 21' 11.19"


Kostel sv. Petra a Pavla (St. Peter and Paul?s Church)

49°47?11.54? 18°31?43.17? google maps

Locality: Albrechtice


We will find the first mention about Parish St. Peter and Paul?s Church in Albrechtice in the records of the episcopate of Vratislav of 1447. In those times the church was in protestant hands, from which it was removed in 1654 and handed over back to the Catholics. Several visitation protocols were preserved from the second half of 17th century, which imply that the church was consecrated to St. Archangel Michael. Information about establishment and financial circumstances of the church is also from that particular period.

All the reports are consistent in the fact that frequent floods in not a distant village Stonávka damaged the church considerably. In the half of 18th century was so damaged that it had to be demolished and in 1766 it was replaced with a new construction. The name of the architect is unknown, it could be the master carpenter Josef Glombek, who built a very similar church in Stonava in 1779.

It is a single-aisle wooden construction with stone substructure of rectangular ground plan with partially forwarded quadrilateral tower in the front face, finished with imperial dome. It has got saddle roof with a small tower. Modest interior of the church and relatively poor in details is documented by the inventory of 1808.

Contact: Visit can be organized at the parish office at the tel. : 596 428 448

Arrival: In the direction from Těrlická dam approximately 300 m to the left from the main road. Albrechtice can be reached by bus from Karviná and Havířov as well as by train ? on the route from Ostrava Svinov to Český Těšín.

GPS: 49°47'11.54"N 18°31'43.17"E


<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > End >>

Page 2 of 4
© Region Beskydy, všechna práva vyhrazena
vytvořeno eABM s.r.o.
  • Čeština (Česká republika)
  • English (United Kingdom)
  • Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
  • Polish (Poland)